Wednesday, November 6, 2013

My facination with metal


I don't exactly know what it is I like about metals, maybe something to do with it's industrial feel. I started buying little bits of it here and there; a wire letter holder, a metal curio cabinet, and an end table. I love the grey color and the hard cold texture. I'd really like a little bit in every room. One of my favorite blogs is La Dolfina. She lives somewhere in California and has lovely things that she shares and sells on her site. I had some old wine barrel planters that disintegrated over the years and hadn't the heart to toss out the metal rings. I hung them on the fence in the back yard for awhile, but was at a loss of what to do with them. 


I then saw these clever entry way decorations on La Dolfina, and decided to create my own. (She does sell them if you are interested) I'm embarrassed to say, a clever girl like me doesn't even own a drill. I know it's an outrage. I keep thinking someday, but until then I borrow the neighbors. I have two zinc containers by my front door, and they worked perfectly with them. They are kept together with natural twin until I get a metal drill bit and put proper holes in them. I have plans of growing little climbing vines on them. Alas, the weather has turned and it's not the time for baby plants.  I can imagine how perfect they'll look like next summer. 

Re-purposed! 

I've also tried a few different things with needle nose pliers and wire. Both of these I saw in stores or online and decided to make my own. The bird cage is my second one, the first was given as a gift. Not difficult at all. I sat in front of the TV twisting away. I use chicken feathers that came out of my sofa for the tail, and spray painted the whole thing black. Mr Birdie flips over every once in awhile, but other than that it's been hanging around in my kitchen for years now.


Tweet Tweet

This one is my newest creation. I saw it in a magazine in someones house and wanted my own. I just had to decide what language to write "love" in. 

AMOUR


No comments:

Post a Comment