Monday, September 10, 2012

Wonderful Strawberry Balsamic Ice Cream



2 Cups Fresh Strawberries
Ingredients
  • 2 cups organic strawberries, rinsed, de-stemmed, and chopped up
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3TB balsamic glaze from Trader Joe's 
  • 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup sour cream

Directions
This is a very easy recipe. You don't have to make a custard and temper the mixture. The balsamic is subtle and just adds a touch to the flavor of the strawberries. 

Mix the strawberries with the balsamic glaze and the 1/2 cup of sugar. Let it set in the fridge for at least a hour. (I do mine at night and make the ice cream next day.)

Mix the strawberries with the cream and the sour cream and put in the bowl of an ice cream maker. Follow the directions for your ice cream maker. 

Trader Joe's Balsamic Glaze It's good on everything!

Strawberry Balsamic with chunks!
This would be really good processed in a blender so there aren't any chunks and strained through a fine mesh sieve. Then stir in finely grated dark chocolate at the last minute when the ice cream is almost done in your machine. The Italians call that stracciatella. It would also be good with Frangelico (2-3 TB) soaked with the berries. Mmmn delish! The liquor would also lower the freezing point so it's not too hard.



This one is blackberry ice cream but I wanted you to see what stracciatella looks like -See the bits of dark chocolate. My husbands favorite!
 I use a Cuisinart Ice Cream machine, and I keep the ice cream bowl in the freezer so it's always ready to go. I also always use organic ingredients, especially the strawberries. I think it tastes better in general, and I try to get thin skinned fruits and veggies organic. Following the "dirty dozen" rules. Once my 4 year old asked me, " So a little bit of poison is okay?" I didn't have a good answer to that one. Anyway, it's hard to afford to buy organic, so I stick to the things that count in my mind, being dairy, meats, and thin skinned fruits and veg. 

No comments:

Post a Comment