Monday, September 10, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Rosemary Jam

Lovely jars of Jam 
I was inspired by the Tom Douglas Bakery that we have in downtown Seattle. They serve freshly made doughnuts in a bag with rhubarb jam and some kind of vanilla cream delight. These are one of the best things I have ever put in my mouth. They are like cinnamon puffs of air. Delish! Anyhow, let me stop dreaming about them and focus. This is my recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Rosemary Jam.

Ingredients:

  • 4 1/2 cups diced rhubarb
  • 4 1/2 cups chopped organic strawberries
  • 2 TB fresh lemon juice
  • pat of butter to reduce the foaming
  • 7 cups of organic sugar
  • 2 packages of Sure Jell reduced sugar recipe pectin
  • 3-4 7"long sprigs of rosemary
  • 6 Pint jars with lids and rings or 12 1/2 pints
Directions:
I get my canning pot ready and set the water boil. I wash my jars and rings in hot soapy water. I boil water in my tea kettle and then pour over my lids to sit and wait until needed. Now I'm ready to start cooking. 

Place the rhubarb, strawberries, rosemary sprigs (whole), lemon juice, and butter in a large kettle with a heavy bottom. I measure out my sugar and then mix about 1/4 cup with the pectin, then stir it into the pot with the rest of the ingredients. Don't add the rest sugar yet! On a medium heat, I bring everything to a boil and then slowly add the sugar. Stirring continually, I wait for the mixture to come to a full rolling boil. ( This is where is still is bubbling even when you are stirring ) Pull out the rosemary sprigs and toss. 
When you get to this point it's time to fill your jars. I use a jelly funnel and fill each to about 1/4 inch from the top. Make sure the rim is clean of any jam with a moist paper towel, and top with a lid and ring. Screw on, but not too tight.
Place jars on the canning rack in your canning pot and lower into the hot water. I process mine for 15 minutes. Not sure where I got that number, but it works for me. Seattle area is at sea level and that has something to do with, but I forgot my logic in this. Anyhow, when the time is up raise the rack and use your handy canning jar tongs to lift out the jars and set them on a kitchen towel, about 2" apart, to cool. Now you will hear the best thing ever. The popping of the lids! Thwump! Thwump! This lovely sound means that the lids are sealed. If a jar doesn't pop that just means that you get to put the jam in your fridge and enjoy even sooner. 
For those of you that have never canned, it's super easy. You can buy a canning kit. It has the big black pot and  the rack. I also got a canning jelly funnel, which has a wide mouth, and a canning jar tongs which are handy for lifting heavy boiling hot jars. I got all my first recipes and ideas from Joy of Cooking. The packages of Sure Jell have recipes in them too. I always use the low sugar Sure Jell, because I can't stand putting all that sugar into my recipe. I also get ideas off the internet, but I like to free style a bit and change them up and mix-mash them to what I think works better. This recipe is a result of that. I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment