Monday, September 10, 2012

Homemade Granola

Granola cooling on the Silpat liner

I make this about once a week. It's pretty much the only cereal my husband and I eat. I have made it for friends as gifts, and brought it traveling. It's always a hit. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Pre-heat your oven to 300

Ingredients:
  • 4 1/2 cup extra thick rolled oats (I use Bobs Red Mill and use 1/2 the package)
  • 1/3 cup canola oil, or coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup flax seeds
  • 1/2 cup whole raw almonds, 
  • 1/2 cup whole raw pecans
  • 1/2 cup whole shelled pistachios, roasted but not salted
  • 1/2 cup pepitas
  • 1TB ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries 
Directions:
In a large bowl mix together the oats, the nuts, and the spices. Then pour in the oil, if you use coconut oil you have to soften it in the microwave so it's liquid. I then use the same measuring cup to measure the honey. The oil makes the honey slide right out. Spread mixture out on a greased baking sheet. I use a Silpat to line mine, which is a handy thing for a cook to have. It's made of silicone and nothing sticks to it. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes. Check it to make sure the granola doesn't get too brown. Everybody's oven is a bit different. When lightly browned pull it out to cool. I then add my dried cherries or other dried fruit. When it's completely cool you can bag it up. It also freezes well for a future date. 

This recipe is one that you can substitute any kind of nuts and seeds. I always buy raw and unsalted because you are roasting it and seasoning it up. Any dried fruit works well too, but don't cook it, it gets hard and chewy. I do put coconut in, but always use unsweetened. Bobs Red Mill makes some if you're looking for it. Don't use angel flake it is loaded with sugar and really moist which makes your granola chewy when in a container. 




No comments:

Post a Comment