Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Nest



I love collecting objects of art from nature. Seashells, pine cones, and nests of all sorts. I dream of finding one of those huge wasp nests, unoccupied, and bringing it home. Did you ever stop to ponder how these things are created and the labor that goes into them?




I have quite a large bird nest collection. It shifts around the house depending on the season and what inspires me. They actually are difficult for me to display. They are made of dried mud and grasses, bits of paper and twigs. I even have one that has a strip of ace bandage or something. They are delicate and are constantly shedding bits when I move them. I really should have a permanent display, but unfortunately don't have the space for one. 









At Christmas time, I decorate my house with a nature theme and a few of the nests make the Christmas tree. Just looking at them blows my mind how much labor went into making them. A bird has no hands, everything has to be carried by mouth. All that mud! They represent so much love from a primal place. They truly are works of art.  




















This time of year we focus on our own nests and making them warm, welcoming, and beautiful for our loved one's. We spend hours decorating and planing out holiday meals. We open our homes and hearts to others. Despite all the terrible things we do to each other in this world, we also have such wonderful, inspiring hearts. 





Happy Nesting!



















No comments:

Post a Comment